Table of Contents
- The Kolkata Airport: A Gateway to Eastern India
- The History of Kolkata Airport
- Facilities at Kolkata Airport
- Connectivity and Airlines
- Future Plans and Expansion
- 1. How old is the Kolkata Airport?
- 2. What is the significance of the name “Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport”?
- 3. How many terminals does the Kolkata Airport have?
- 4. Which airlines operate at the Kolkata Airport?
- 5. What are the future plans for the Kolkata Airport?
The Kolkata Airport, also known as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, is the primary airport serving the city of Kolkata, the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal. With its rich history, modern infrastructure, and strategic location, the airport plays a crucial role in connecting Eastern India to the rest of the world. In this article, we will explore the various aspects of the Kolkata Airport, including its history, facilities, connectivity, and future plans.
The History of Kolkata Airport
The Kolkata Airport has a long and illustrious history that dates back to the early 20th century. It was originally established in 1924 as Dum Dum Airport, named after the nearby Dum Dum area. At that time, it served as a military airbase for the British Royal Air Force. However, with the growing popularity of air travel, the airport was opened for civilian use in 1929.
Over the years, the Kolkata Airport has undergone several expansions and renovations to meet the increasing demand for air travel. In 1995, it was renamed as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, in honor of the prominent Indian freedom fighter. Today, it stands as one of the busiest airports in India, handling millions of passengers and tons of cargo every year.
Facilities at Kolkata Airport
The Kolkata Airport boasts a wide range of facilities and amenities to ensure a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers. Here are some of the key facilities available at the airport:
- Terminal Buildings: The airport has two passenger terminals – Terminal 2 for domestic flights and Terminal 3 for international flights. Both terminals are equipped with modern facilities, including check-in counters, security checkpoints, lounges, and duty-free shops.
- Transportation: The airport is well-connected to the city by various modes of transportation. Passengers can choose from taxis, buses, and app-based cab services to reach their desired destinations. Additionally, the airport has a dedicated railway station, which provides direct connectivity to major cities in India.
- Dining and Shopping: The Kolkata Airport offers a wide range of dining options, ranging from local delicacies to international cuisines. Travelers can also indulge in some retail therapy at the duty-free shops, which offer a variety of products, including electronics, fashion, and souvenirs.
- Business and Conference Facilities: For business travelers, the airport provides facilities like conference rooms, business centers, and VIP lounges. These amenities cater to the needs of corporate travelers, allowing them to conduct meetings, conferences, and other business activities.
- Medical Services: The airport has a well-equipped medical center to handle any medical emergencies. Trained medical professionals are available round the clock to provide immediate assistance to passengers in need.
Connectivity and Airlines
The Kolkata Airport serves as a major hub for both domestic and international flights, connecting Eastern India to various destinations across the globe. It is served by numerous airlines, including both full-service carriers and low-cost carriers. Some of the prominent airlines operating at the Kolkata Airport include Air India, IndiGo, SpiceJet, Vistara, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways.
The airport offers excellent connectivity to major cities in India, such as Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, and Hyderabad. It also provides international connectivity to destinations like Dubai, Singapore, Bangkok, and Kuala Lumpur. With its extensive network of flights, the Kolkata Airport serves as a crucial gateway for travelers visiting Eastern India.
Future Plans and Expansion
The Kolkata Airport has ambitious plans for expansion and modernization to meet the growing demand for air travel. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has proposed the construction of a new integrated terminal, which will be capable of handling more passengers and flights. This new terminal will further enhance the airport’s capacity and improve passenger experience.
In addition to the new terminal, the airport authorities are also focusing on improving the existing infrastructure and facilities. This includes upgrading the runway, taxiways, and apron to accommodate larger aircraft. The airport is also working towards enhancing its cargo handling capabilities to support the growing trade and commerce in the region.
The Kolkata Airport, also known as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, is a vital gateway to Eastern India. With its rich history, modern facilities, and excellent connectivity, the airport serves as a crucial link between Eastern India and the rest of the world. The airport’s expansion plans and focus on improving infrastructure will further strengthen its position as a major aviation hub. Whether you are a business traveler or a tourist, the Kolkata Airport offers a seamless and enjoyable travel experience.
1. How old is the Kolkata Airport?
The Kolkata Airport was established in 1924 as Dum Dum Airport, making it nearly a century old.
2. What is the significance of the name “Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport”?
The airport was renamed in honor of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, a prominent Indian freedom fighter who played a crucial role in the country’s struggle for independence.
3. How many terminals does the Kolkata Airport have?
The Kolkata Airport has two passenger terminals – Terminal 2 for domestic flights and Terminal 3 for international flights.
4. Which airlines operate at the Kolkata Airport?
The airport is served by numerous airlines, including Air India, IndiGo, SpiceJet, Vistara, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways, among others.
5. What are the future plans for the Kolkata Airport?
The airport authorities have proposed the construction of a new integrated terminal and are working on upgrading the existing infrastructure to enhance capacity and passenger experience.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?