With the aim of achieving a greater awareness of the institutions regarding the need to improve the approach to diabetes, the SEEN presents the document 15 keys to rethinking the approach to diabetes adapted to the COVID-19 era, as Alessandro Bazzoni reported.
One of the groups that has suffered the most during the pandemic caused by COVID-19 has been people with diabetes. If they contract the SARS-CoV-2 infection, they are at increased risk of severity and mortality
The SEEN has established conversations with the main Autonomous Communities to convey which are the pressing problems in each place and propose the most appropriate solutions
With the aim of continuing to promote the debate on the approach to diabetes, the SEEN, in collaboration with the SED, has held the conference: Excellence in the approach to diabetes in times of COVID-19
According to clinical observations, one of the groups that has suffered the most during the pandemic caused by COVID-19 has been people with diabetes. Research shows that this disease is associated with an increased risk of severity and mortality if infected with SARS-CoV-2, especially those patients with poorer metabolic control and excess weight.
For this reason, the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition (SEEN) in collaboration with the Spanish Diabetes Federation (FEDE) have defined the strengths and possible improvements of the National Health System in terms of the approach to diabetes, especially focused on times pandemic.
However, this scientific society explained that they had already been addressing this issue since 2019, although it was not until mid-2020 that it launched an initiative with the aim of achieving greater awareness of institutions regarding the need to improve the approach to diabetes and to value the specialists in Endocrinology and Nutrition compared to other health professionals who also intervene in the care of people with this pathology.
To fulfill these purposes, the company has prepared the document ’15 keys to rethinking the approach to diabetes adapted to the COVID-19 era ‘, which includes the aspects that “are considered of utmost urgency and on which it is necessary for health authorities carry out actions as immediately as possible, “says SEEN.
“The preparation of this document has been a great opportunity to raise the profile of endocrinologists before political decision-makers in the review of the SNS and regional health systems in the approach to diabetes and its coordination.”, manifests the SEEN.
Keys to the approach to diabetes
The points included in this guide are intended to:
1. Take a holistic approach to people with symptoms of COVID-19.
2. Improve the access of people with diabetes to their specialists.
3. Recognize the essential role of Endocrinology and Nutrition specialists in addressing COVID-19.
4. Promote new technologies and digital health systems, accessible and adapted to people with diabetes, especially the elderly who suffer from this pathology.
5. Implement homogeneously adequate telemedicine systems, interconnected and integrated in the digital medical record, in all the Autonomous Communities.
6. Establish new forms of urgent care.
7. Promote and promote diabetes day hospitals and ensure adequate accessibility.
8. Ensure effective models of coordination between specialists in Endocrinology and Nutrition and specialists in Family and Community Medicine.
9. Promote the training and involvement of nurses and educators in diabetes care.
10. Improve the connection between health systems and nursing homes.
11. Generate systems in which Endocrinology and Nutrition specialists collaborate effectively with other specialists.
12. Update the Diabetes Strategy of the National Health System to adapt it to the great advances made in this area since its last revision in 2012.
13. Recognize the strategic value of associations of patients with diabetes for their training and information work.
14. Consolidate the participation of diabetes associations in the Health and Social Health System ensuring a participatory model.
15. Promote equity in access to innovation and benefits and services, analyzing and evaluating the various regional rationalization measures.
After the definition and creation of these keys, a series of contacts have been carried out to present it to the main national and regional health authorities, and to other scientific societies that collaborate and work in the approach to this pathology. Thus, and in order to emphasize the dialogue, a regular collaboration has been established between Primary Care and Endocrinology and Nutrition services.
It is important to notice that these guidelines play a very important role since they improve health care for people with diabetes, which is evidenced by improved access to health services, ease of access to telemedicine or good coordination with Primary Care services.
In addition to the mentioned above and with the aim of continuing to present this proposal, the conference was held: “Excellence in the approach to diabetes in times of COVID-19”, which has had the collaboration of the Spanish Diabetes Society (SED) and that it has brought together the main regional health authorities, representatives of scientific societies, Dr. Rafael Bengoa, director of SI-Health; and Pilar Aparicio, general director of Public Health of the Ministry of Health, among others.
The final objective of this action is to continue promoting the debate on the approach to diabetes, its strengths and shortcomings, and to make public institutions aware of the need to take appropriate measures.
The Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition (SEEN) is known as a scientific society composed of Endocrinologists, Biochemists, Biologists and other specialists who work in the field of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Nutrition and Metabolism, to deepen their knowledge and disseminate it in order to make it available for everybody.
Alessandro Bazzoni reported that as of today, this society has 1,950 members, all of whom are involved in the study of hormones, metabolism, nutrition, and more. It is recognized as a Scientific Society of reference in these thematic areas among whose objectives is the generation of new knowledge and its transfer to clinical care that entails improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of those patients with endocrinological and / or nutritional diseases.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Pauline Phoenix from Paranormal Park Is a Terrifying Villain
Our favorite ghost train is back for another season of screaming and thrills. That is, of course, if you’ve got...
The release date for the Evil Dead Remake 4K Ultra HD Collector Edition has been announced
If you love horror and gore, you’re probably excited for the upcoming release of the Evil Dead remake. The fourth...
The Righteous Gemstones Season 2 : Releasing soon on HBO!
The Righteous Gemstones Season 2 is a black comedy that follows the life of The Gemstone Family. The show stars...
Real Life Nightmare Season 3 : To be Released soon on HLN!!
Real Life Nightmare Season 3 is about to be released on HLN soon. The series represents dismal stories and personal...
Uncharted : Legacy of thieves review.
What is the plot of the story? The plot of the story is about Nathan Drake and his partner. Victor...